Monday, August 12, 2013

Vegan Mozzarella Cheese

This can be used in anything that requires mozzarella cheese.  I love to use it in my Vegan Lasagna or on pizza, but it's good for a variety of different things.  I'm actually in the middle of doing another blog post about Breaded and Baked Eggplant (in which it can be used), and realized with a quick search that I had never posted about this cheese!  So I'm here for a quick jot down, with no frills or excitement.

I like to use this right out of the boiler, but if you want to make it in bulk or use it shredded, feel free to freeze it in a ziplock or a freezer safe container, and shred directly over your pizza dough (or whatever), while still frozen.  Put the remainder back in the freezer.  This will get gooey and melty like real cheese. It has lasted as long as 3 months in my freezer, but I've never had any left after three months, it might last a while longer.

I snagged this picture from my Sicilian Lasagna post!


Ingredients:
2 Tbs. Tahini Butter (peanut butter aisle)
1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast flakes (healthfood store)
3 Tbs. Quick oats
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. garlic powder
1.5 tsp. onion powder
1.5 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Cup of water

Directions:
Blend smooth, and thicken on low heat. stir every few minutes, and use immediately or freeze for later.  After it is frozen, it can easily be shredded with a grater, if you need it for pizza, or other recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment