Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Paleo (kinda) Vegan Pizza

So, I feel a bit ridiculous admitting that I'm not exactly sure what all the Paleo diet allows for.  I'm pretty sure that no processed foods is part of it, but I lost interest in what Paleo had to offer when I saw the first asparagus bundle wrapped in slimy (totally unhealthy) bacon (photo) on my Facebook feed.  So anyway, I still think it's a pretty cool notion to limit the amount of Gluten in your meals, and definitely a plus to lay off of processed foods.  Daiya (vegan Cheese) and marinara aside, this is pretty much straight from the garden!  It's versatile too, if you want to change the toppings.

(GF) Naturally Gluten Free

My pizzas before they were baked

Ingredients:
2 Large Eggplants
1 Jar of marinara (I like Barilla, it's vegan and kosher)
Bag of Daiya Shredded Chedder or Mozzarella (purchase at publix or other)
Salt or Garlic Salt to sprinkle

Suggested Toppings:
Chopped Mushrooms
Baby Spinach
Diced Onion
Sun dried Tomatoes
Diced Zucchini 
Artificial Bacon Bits (can be purchased from any grocery store)

Ignore the fact that this eggplant has not been peeled

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- oil two cookie sheets
- Peel eggplants with a potato peeler or the like
- Lay eggplant on its side and cut in about inch thick slices 
- Place each piece on the cookie sheet
- Sprinkle each "pizza" with salt or Garlic salt (not too much, it's just to add a little flavor)
- First spread about a Tablespoon of Marinara on each "pizza"
- Then top with Spinach
- Then your daiya cheese
- Then all of the other topping you choose
-Bake on 350 for 25 minutes, on top rack

Feeds 4 Adults +
**Served with Crisp salad and roasted asparagus
ENJOY!
Photo Credit to my baby sister!


No comments:

Post a Comment